[TNM] tail_n_mail

Wolf Schwurack wolf at uen.org
Tue Jan 8 14:56:56 UTC 2013

I'm using tail_n_mail on Ubuntu and Solaris servers. On my Ubuntu database servers tail_n_mail is not picking up the errors in the log file. I run some tests and it's only picking up the words after date, time, ERROR: and two spaces.

Here's my config file

## Config file for the tail_n_mail program
## This file is automatically updataed
## Las updated: Mon Jan  7 14:49:20 2013
EMAIL: wolf at uen.org<mailto:wolf at uen.org>
MAILSUBJECT: test UNIQUE  :  NUMBER

INCLUDE: ERROR:

FILE1: /tmp/test.log
LASTFILE1: /tmp/test.log
OFFSET1:

Here's example of my log file. If I add any word after ERROR: to my config file to INCLUDE tail_n_mail will pick it up.

2013-01-07 08:12:16 ERROR:  pid 21647: pool_send_and_wait: Error or notice message from backend

Tail_n_mail works great on my Solaris database servers, picks up all of the ERROR:

      0___      Wolfgang Schwurack
     c/  /'_    DBA/SA
    (*)  \(*)   University of Utah/UEN
                Tel: (801) 587-9444