[TNM] pgAdmin III entries getting picked up when they shouldn't be

Douglas J Hunley doug.hunley at enterprisedb.com
Thu Jun 16 14:50:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg at endpoint.com>
wrote:

> The issue seems to be that pgadmin is using whitespace inside it's
> SET application_name calls, which means tail_n_mail is failing to parse
> the lines correctly, and thus those lines you see are not really "matching"
> but are unknown, what-are-those-doing-there lines. A quick fix may be to
> change your log_line_prefix in your .tailnmailrc to:
>
> log_line_prefix = '%t [%p]: [%l-1] user=%u,db=%d,app'

I'll give this a shot

> Not ideal, I know. You could also remove the app=%a from your Postgres
> log_line_prefix, if you are not actively using it.

The client wants the app= preserved as they use it inside their app to show
what part of the app generated the query :(

> The problem is that we have no way of knowing when the application
> name ends and when the next field begin (in this case, a comma and
> the word 'client'). As the application_name field is very free-form,
> and does not get quoted, it can contain a comma. I do not know if
> there is a canonical solution to this problem, but perhaps we can at
> least devise some sort of clever workaround? Ideas and patches
> welcome.

Sounds like maybe PostgreSQL should quote the appname as I'm sure pgBadger
and other tools are all dealing with this too

Thanks for the assist! I'll see how this goes.

--
 (     / __    _\    )     Douglas J Hunley