[Bucardo-general] Invalid value for parameter "tcp_keepalives_idle"

Ben Allen bsa at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 2 21:47:08 UTC 2007

Another odd error. This time I'm using the previous setup, but the
test2 database is on a second host. Both are AMD64 FreeBSD 6.2
machines running PostgreSQL 8.2.5.

SET tcp_keepalives_idle = 10; works fine on all the databases.

bucardo_ctl debug:
[1191357678]  KID New kid, syncs "test1" to "test2" for sync
"test_sync" alive=1 Parent=61587
[1191357678]  KID New kid, syncs "test1" to "test2" for sync
"test_sync" alive=1 Parent=61587
[1191357679]  KID Warning! Child for "test_sync" was killed at line
3459: DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  invalid value for parameter
"tcp_keepalives_idle": 10
main error: none source error: none target error: 7
[1191357679]  KID Warning! Child for "test_sync" was killed at line
3459: DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  invalid value for parameter
"tcp_keepalives_idle": 10
main error: none source error: none target error: 7

PostgreSQL debug:
DETAIL:  parameters: $1 = 'test_sync'
LOG:  statement: LISTEN bucardo_q_test_sync_test2
LOG:  statement: commit
LOG:  statement: begin
LOG:  statement: SET statement_timeout = 0
LOG:  statement: SET tcp_keepalives_idle = 10
LOG:  statement: SET tcp_keepalives_interval = 5
LOG:  statement: SET tcp_keepalives_count = 2
LOG:  statement: rollback
LOG:  statement: begin
LOG:  statement: SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path',
'bucardo,' || current_setting('search_path'), false)
LOG:  statement: commit
LOG:  statement: begin
LOG:  statement: NOTIFY bucardo_synckill_test_sync_test2
LOG:  statement: NOTIFY bucardo_synckill_test_sync
LOG:  statement: commit
LOG:  statement: begin
LOG:  execute dbdpg_1:
                                 UPDATE bucardo.q
                                 SET    aborted=timeofday
()::timestamp, whydie=$1
                                 WHERE  sync=$2
                                 AND    pid=$3
                                 AND    ended IS NULL
                                 AND    aborted IS NULL

DETAIL:  parameters: $1 = 'DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  invalid
value for parameter "tcp_keepalives_idle": 10
          main error: none source error: none target error: 7
         ', $2 = 'test_sync', $3 = '61832'
LOG:  statement: DEALLOCATE dbdpg_1
LOG:  execute dbdpg_2:
                                 UPDATE bucardo.audit_pid
                                 SET    killdate=timeofday
()::timestamp, death=$1
                                 WHERE  type='KID'
                                 AND    sync=$2
                                 AND    ppid=$3
                                 AND    pid=$4

DETAIL:  parameters: $1 = 'DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  invalid
value for parameter "tcp_keepalives_idle": 10
          main error: none source error: none target error: 7
         ', $2 = 'test_sync', $3 = '61792', $4 = '61832'
LOG:  statement: commit
LOG:  statement: begin

As an ugly fix, I just set the tcp_keepalives_idle setting in the
bucardo_config table to 0, so Bucardo.pm will just skip that little
bit of a code. Replication works after this. Let me know if you need
more info or where I can find more debug info.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ben Allen