[Bucardo-general] Question about makedelta and star replication

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Apr 2 21:16:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:44:02 -0300
Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to use makedelta to handle star replication
>
> Consider this
>
> DB1
> DB2
> DB3
>
> Each one has a table called test
>
> Now I have a goat for each DB including test table with makedelta = TRUE
> I have 2 syncs with DB1 as commong point
> DB2 <-> DB1
> DB1 <-> DB3
>
> Both with makedelta = TRUE
>
> That works with checktime = 00:00:01 to make it check each second cause
> if updating from DB3, DB2 "wait" check time to be updated.
>
> Now my 2 questions:
>
> 1 - which makedelta are required and why?
> 2 - is checktime required or something in my configuration is wrong?

1) You should only need a makedelta on the goat for DB1. If a new row
comes from DB2, we need to make sure that DB3 thinks it is new as well.

2) Checktime is not required, per se, but you'll need some way to tell the
other sync that it needs to run. This can be done with a customcode on
both sides that calls the other sync by issuing a NOTIFY.

3) I really need to work on the Bucardo documentation...

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
End Point Corporation 610-983-9073