[Bucardo-general] Procedures for changes to goat or herdmap entries

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Fri Apr 11 17:10:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:37:01 -0700
"Adam Wendt" <thelsdj at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just my personal experience, so Greg may have better suggestions:
>
> 1. Easiest I've found is to stop bucardo, ALTER TABLE on both the master
> and the slave, then start bucardo again.
>
> 2. I've hacked around this by adding goats to a NEW herd(map) and then
> create a NEW sync, then next time I redo my bucardo setup I include new
> table in the existing sync.

Generally, number 1 is your best bet. Bucardo doesn't store anything except
the primary key, so as long as that doesn't change, it's safe to simply
stop, make changes, and start Bucardo again. The restart will cause it to
re-read the table columns again.

There used to be a bucardo_reload_sync_xxx method, but it is currently
disabled, as the complexity did not seem worth it compared to the surety
of just restarting Bucardo entirely. At some point I'd like to get it back
however, as there is in theory no reason that the syncs cannot be
independent enough for a restart of a single one (or more), without making
the rest stop working.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
End Point Corporation 610-983-9073