[Bucardo-general] Bucardo question

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Tue Dec 8 12:48:01 UTC 2009

> So, my goal is to make several "clone" databases (3 or more), which
> must be kept in sync even after one of them fails. After recovery the
> database can be put in operation manually.
>
> But if the server that fails is the one bucardo is running on? What
> must happen then? I mean not just that postgres dies, but the whole
> server. A new instance of bucaurdo should start running on one of the
> remaining servers, keeping the data synced? Won't that interfere into
> the database structure?

You can put Bucardo anywhere, and have backup copies on other servers
ready to go. While you could even use Bucardo to replicate the bucardo
database :), it's small enough that a pg_dump will suffice.

It's unclear what your scenario is as far as failing slaves, but Bucardo
should be able to handle that. In the future it will be automatic, but
generally, if a slave goes down, you set that database as "inactive"
inside Bucardo and restart it. When it comes back up, just set the db to
"active" and restart Bucardo again.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com