[Bucardo-general] Kid Dies When using Syslog for Logging

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Thu Jan 15 15:39:31 UTC 2009

> If debugstderr is enabled in addition to syslog in /var/log/messages:
> print() on closed filehandle STDERR at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/
> 5.8.8/Bucardo.pm line 767.

That's odd, looks like a forking issue - some other process has exited
and closed STDERR. We don't explicitly close it in the code.

> In PostgreSQL's log file the only errors seen are a number of similar
> logs as below:
> ERROR:  prepared statement "dbdpg_p6771_2" does not exist
> STATEMENT:  DEALLOCATE dbdpg_p6771_2

This also indicates a forking problem, usually because another process
has already deallocated the statement. Only one Perl process should be
authoritative for a prepared statement.

> Let me know if you want Perl module versions, more log files, etc.

Can you check your Postgres logs and grep for that prepared statement
(dbdpg_p6771_2)? Or a similar one, once you crank up logging as needed.
If we can see what the statement is, and which processes create and try
to destroy it, we can narrow the problem down. Unable to duplicate here,
but probably just because I don't have enough data points.

> My last oddity is if I don't specify --dbhost=localhost on the
> command line i will get the following error:
>
> $ bucardo_ctl start test
> Checking for existing processes
> Removing /var/run/bucardo/fullstopbucardo
> Starting Bucardo
> 	(in cleanup) Line 219: Line 269: Caught a SIGPIPE at /usr/local/lib/
> perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/Class/MOP/Class.pm line 219

That's an odd one: looks like a Moose error. Can you tell me the
versions of Moose and Class::MOP on your system? SIGPIPE makes me wonder
if it isn't another aspect of the same closed filehandle problem above.

Maybe this project is far enough along to get a bug tracker. Any
recommendations/strong preferences from the people on this list?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com