[Bucardo-general] Getting closer, but not quite

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sun Sep 27 11:17:31 UTC 2009

> I was trying to mimic the pgbench example as closely as possible. Viewing
> the database/schema in pgadmin clearly shows that role 'bucardo' was created
> during installation.

The user 'bucardo' also needs to be created on each database involved in
the replication. You can see which user its trying to connect as by
doing a: bucardo_ctl list dbs

While it's possible to use an existing superuser (such as "postgres"),
it's better from an auditing standpoint to use a new user devoted to
just that role. Thus, you need to run on each database something like
the following:

psql -h myhost -c "create user bucardo superuser password 'foobar'"

For best security, put the password in a ~/.pgpass file like so:

myhost:myport:*:bucardo:foobar

That should be enough to get you going. Couple more small notes:

> Change the PID directory to: /var/run

Bucardo will create a lot of files in this directory, so it's advisable
to make this a directory solely for use by Bucardo (and owned by the
bucardo user (or whatever user is running the bucardo process))

> Connecting to database 'bucardo' as user 'bucardo'
> Updated configuration setting "piddir"
> Installation is now complete.

I made some changes yesterday to support better detection of not having
plperlu available - thanks for the report!

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com