[Bucardo-general] Getting closer, but not quite

Jason Buberel jason at buberel.org
Sun Sep 27 04:58:55 UTC 2009

Quick summary: Started with clean postgres init (v8.4.1). Install works
without error. Add two databases - ar_master, ar_slave. Add all tables with
herd name 'everytable'. Attempt to add sync named 'everysync' results in
fatal error claiming that role 'bucardo' does not exist.

I was trying to mimic the pgbench example as closely as possible. Viewing
the database/schema in pgadmin clearly shows that role 'bucardo' was created
during installation.

If you have suggestions on what step I messed up, please let me know. I'm
trying to avoid slony, the configuration for which I find maddening.

Transcript:

*> ./bucardo_ctl install*
This will install the bucardo database into an existing Postgres cluster.
Postgres must have been compiled with Perl support,
and you must connect as a superuser

We will create a new superuser named 'bucardo',
and make it the owner of a new database named 'bucardo'

Current connection settings:
1. Host:          <none>
2. Port:          5432
3. User:          postgres
4. Database:      postgres
5. PID directory: /var/run/bucardo
Enter a number to change it, P to proceed, or Q to quit: 2

Change the port to: 54841

Changed port to: 54841
Current connection settings:
1. Host:          <none>
2. Port:          54841
3. User:          postgres
4. Database:      postgres
5. PID directory: /var/run/bucardo
Enter a number to change it, P to proceed, or Q to quit: 5

Change the PID directory to: /var/run

Changed PID dir to: /var/run
Current connection settings:
1. Host:          <none>
2. Port:          54841
3. User:          postgres
4. Database:      postgres
5. PID directory: /var/run
Enter a number to change it, P to proceed, or Q to quit: p

Postgres version is: 8.4
Attempting to create and populate the bucardo database and schema
Database creation is complete

Connecting to database 'bucardo' as user 'bucardo'
Updated configuration setting "piddir"
Installation is now complete.

If you see any unexpected errors above, please report them to
bucardo-general at bucardo.org

You should probably check over the configuration variables next, by running:
./bucardo_ctl show all
Change any setting by using: ./bucardo_ctl set foo=bar

*> ./bucardo_ctl add db altos_research name=ar_master port=54841*
Database added: ar_master
jason at bunny ~/d/Bucardo-4.1.2> ./bucardo_ctl add db altos_research
name=ar_slave port=54824
Database added: ar_slave

*> ./bucardo_ctl add all tables db=ar_master  --herd=everytable *
Creating herd: everytable
New tables added: 55
Already added: 0

*> ./bucardo_ctl add sync everysync source=everytable targetdb=ar_slave
type=pushdelta*
Failed to add sync: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  error from Perl
function "validate_sync": error from Perl function "validate_sync": DBI
connect('dbname=altos_research;port=54824','bucardo',...) failed: FATAL:
role "bucardo" does not exist at line 255 at line 30. at ./bucardo_ctl line
3914.
--
Jason L. Buberel
jason at buberel.org