[Bucardo-general] Request: Compression on link?

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sun Aug 1 20:52:52 UTC 2010

Karl Denninger wrote:
> Any thoughts about allowing Bucardo to do its connecting (at least for
> full-table copies) via SSH as a tunnel so one can take advantage of the
> compression switch?
>
> As you're probably all aware, Postgreql is rather "nasty" when it comes
> to the number of bytes sent .vs. the number of bytes in the actual data
> being represented.  Text and (especially) BYTEA fields compress a LOT on
> transport from the COPY command, but I don't see a way to tell Bucardo
> to use a tunnel (this is also a problem with SLONY, incidentally.)
>
> Given how cheap CPU has gotten these days that would make a big
> difference in full-table copy operations...

Use SSH tunneling and a local port for the bucardo DB->master DB and
bucardo DB->slave/2nd master DB?  (IIRC where the bucardo process runs
is where the connections are initiated from so an SSH tunnel to both  -
if running on a 3rd machine like me - would solve that one.... just
remember though, no tunnels no replication!)

Michelle