[Bucardo-general] Replication aborted because of DDL change

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Feb 17 15:31:39 UTC 2010

> I got the following error message and the bucardo process got
> terminated. What happend was , a new column has been added to the
> master database and the same column has not been added to slave.
> Eventually, the replication was stopped with the following message.
> Do we have to stop the replication process , incase if there is a DDL
> change to master DB and make the same change to slave and resume the
> bucardo_ctl? Please help, kind of serious issue for us.

Yes. Postgres does not offer triggers on system tables, so there is
no reliable way for Bucardo to detect such changes. The best way to
make DDL changes is as you said: stop Bucardo, make the changes on both
ends, then restart Bucardo.

There are long-term plans to automate some of that and have Bucardo
automatically detect and apply things like new columns to the slaves,
but it's still a very basic proof of concept at this point.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com