[Bucardo-general] Starting SWAP replication

Michal Bicz michal.bicz at iloopmobile.com
Fri Jan 22 11:58:21 UTC 2010

I know how triggers and delta table operates but just wonder.

Assuming I have just an table with data and bucardo is started.
Will it scan the table (source) and compare to table (target)?
Assuming it is run for the very first time will it call bucardo_add_delta trigger?

Behaviour noted in log is that It checks dest  and there are no deltas so it dont replicate...
Is this the normal behaviour or should it look at both tables and mirror them automatically (by settting onetimecopy)?
Onetimecopy is not working for me with swap syncs at all.

I did:
bucardo_ctl install on db1
bucardo_ctl install on db2
bucardo_ctl add db saturn host=172.17.1.162 group=m2m name=db2
bucardo_ctl add db saturn host=172.17.1.161 group=m2m name=db1
bucardo_ctl add  table standard_conflict=latest db=db2 herd=logging  $(cat logging.tables.txt )
bucardo_ctl add  sequence db=db2 herd=logging  standard_conflict=highest $(cat logging.seq.txt )
bucardo_ctl add sync log type=swap source=logging targetdb=db1
bucardo_ctl start

When doing start table on db1 is empty - just schema restored (only difference is ownership but bucardo is a superuser here and there are entries in pg_hba.conf to trust bucardo user on every db)

It just perfoms some checks ad thats it.

When I add record to db1 it is repicated to db2
if I add record to db2 it gets replicated to db1 but content from before starting replication doesnt get automatically replicated even when setting up onetimecopy and kicking the sync with bucardo_ctl kick log.

Status always show idle.

If I use syncs with pushdelta/fullcopy all is fine so I wouldnt say there is a problem with bucardo database/view itself.

I just wonder if I should expect to replicate the state from before sarting replication cause I can imagine the situation that if one node goes down and second is working then  how the other one would get in sync? Just by looking at the delta table on both and compare them?
If I have the fresh new one with only schemamirror and bucardo installed will bucardo trigger replication or not?

I can test it but just wanted to know if I am searching for nonexistent feature really.

Thanks,
Michal