[Bucardo-general] Install problems with PREFIX

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Tue Mar 2 22:14:21 UTC 2010

>    When I do the same with Bucardo, the installation of bucardo_ctl seems
>    to not honor the PREFIX value I pass it.
>    Can you offer a fix/work around?

There's a few issues going on here. First, support for PREFIX is
pretty crappy in ExtUtils::MakeMaker. Far better to use
INSTALL_BASE like so:

perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/postgres/zz

Second, there was no way to signify a architecture nuetral place
for the bucardo.schema file to live in. Thus, we hacked up
the Makefile via Makefile.PL to put it in /usr/local/share (which
is most correct place for it, but it has no macro like some of
the other locations). So I think the answer for the moment is
to change the three lines inside of Makefile.PL that reference
$(DESTDIR) to $(INSTALL_BASE).

This may break things for distro packagers, but I'll have to
wait for someone with more knowledge about that than me to
weigh in.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com