[Bucardo-general] Concurrency errors when replicating a master to two slaves and installation experiences

gjsw Geoff.Williams at utas.edu.au
Mon Jul 4 02:47:43 UTC 2011

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately I ended up giving up on Postgresql replication and Bucardo.  There were a few reasons for this, one of them being this bug and concurrency problems but the real killer for me was the lack of DDL replication.

Despite telling our DBAs many times that Bucardo needs to be updated when tables are changed, they never did this and were always puzzled when their changes failed to replicate.  Typically I'd get an email about a week after a table had been manually changed along the lines of "replication is broken but only for some fields, please fix it".

I realise that this is because Postgresql doesn't currently support DDL triggers rather then missing functionally in Bucardo as such.  I looked at several other replication systems as well and none of them were able to offer the functionality I wanted either.

In the end I just couldn't get things working the way I wanted so I redeployed our database servers without any replication as a traditional master database server that all systems connect to and a separate identical system for testing.

Hope you are able to fix up Bucardo and good luck with the project.

Cheers,
Geoff