[Bucardo-general] Inserts when deleting question

Gabriel Weinberg yegg at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 14 22:09:54 UTC 2011

Hi, I had written in on May 3 with a question about inserts appearing in the
sync status output when deleting. I made a test case to make the question
more clear.

createdb testa
createdb testb
create table test (id integer primary key);
bucardo_ctl add database testa name=testa
bucardo_ctl add database testb name=testb
bucardo_ctl add table test db=testa
bucardo_ctl add herd test_herd test
bucardo_ctl add sync test_sync source=test_herd targetdb=testb status=active
type=pushdelta

testa=# insert into test (id) values (1);
INSERT 0 1

This results what I would expect:
Ins/Upd/Del:          1 / 0 / 0

And of course the row is copied:
testb=# select * from test;
 id
----
  1
(1 row)

Then I do
testa=# delete from test;
DELETE 1

But then sync output shows 1 insert with the delete, which is what I was not
expecting:
Ins/Upd/Del:          1 / 0 / 1

Here's the full status output:
Days back: 3  User: bucardo  Database: bucardo
Sync name:            test_sync
Current state:        idle (PID = 89983)
Type:                 pushdelta
Source herd/database: test_herd / testa
Target database:      testb
Tables in sync:       1
Last good:            3s (time to run: 0s)
Last good time:       May 14, 2011 18:04:59  Target: testb
Ins/Upd/Del:          1 / 0 / 1
Last bad:             unknown
PID file:             /var/run/bucardo/bucardo.ctl.sync.test_sync.pid
PID file created:     Sat May 14 18:03:59 2011
Checktime:            none
Overdue time:         00:00:00
Expired time:         00:00:00
Stayalive:            yes      Kidsalive: yes
Rebuild index:        0        Do_listen: no
Ping:                 yes      Makedelta: no
Onetimecopy:          0

Why is that?

When I extrapolate to deleting a lot of rows it results in a lot of inserts.
And I see it copying those inserts in as well so it is not just stray
output.