[Bucardo-general] Moving a goat between herds

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Sep 21 20:02:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:59:56PM -0600, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Christophe Pettus <xof at thebuild.com> wrote:
> > OK, I would have thought this was obvious, but... how can one move a goat
> (a table, in particular) from one herd to another, so that the syncs for
> that herd pick it up?
>
> You'll want to UPDATE the herdmap table in the bucardo database,
> setting the herd for the goat in question to its new value, and then
> re-run validate_all_syncs. (Or simply run validate_sync($sync) for the
> old and new syncs, rather than re-validating all of them.)
>
> I don't think bouncing Bucardo should be necessary, but you may want
> to do that, too, just in case.

Yes, you will need to restart Bucardo for something that fundamental of a
change. In the future, such a change will be made via:

$ bucardo update table foo herd=abc

Always check afterwards: commands such as:

$ bucardo add table foo herd=abc

may appear to work, but they won't *remove* the table from the old herd.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com