[Bucardo-general] bucardo tables causing REINDEX fail

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Tue Apr 17 22:12:39 UTC 2012

Pretty sure the existence of a lone 'bucardo_delta' indicates
that the bucardo4 triggers are still in place. If you are not
using b4 anymore, you may want to check that all of its triggers
have been removed.

> I hope you test the reindex / vacuum activities on a busy bucardo master
> server to ensure no disruptions occur. When our reindexing broke mid-way, it
> screwed up all kinds of things, including bucardo, and forced a restart of
> the database server.

It's a tough problem to solve if you are running a database-wide reindex
on a busy database. One way I've solved that in the past is to not do an
automatic database reindex/vacuum, but to have a small script that gathers
table names itself, and vacuums/reindexes smartly, such that the order can
be controlled, certain tables can be skipped, hints can be given to the app
(via userlocks or other mechanism), and errors can be trapped and actions
retried.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com