[Bucardo-general] b4: what's the context of the 2-way multi-master limitation?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Fri Mar 23 16:29:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 04:13:17PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 01:28 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Both sides.
>
> OK, so I just went to update the tables, and I've got (Schema 4.4.8):
>
>   CREATE TABLE bucardo.goat (
>     makedelta          BOOLEAN         NULL,
>
> But the Wiki schema/makedelta page shows target_makedelta and source_makedelta.

Yeah, we broke it apart into two vars at some point during early b5 development,
but b4 can still just use the single 'makedelta'. I've not sorted out the final
scheme for b5's makedelta.

>   UPDATE Goat SET makedelta=TRUE WHERE ( db='ecommerce_left' AND tablename='customer' );
>
> should work correctly.  I couldn't quite figure out the commandline syntax for 'update',
> though - is there a way to disambiguate the same table name in different databases?
> (no help or manpage text for 'update' yet)

No, I don't think there is any way to disambiguate except for using the goat id,
which I am not sure is supported in b4, but the syntax would be:

bucardo_ctl update goat 123 makedelta=true

Note that in normal practice you shouldn't have the same-named table in your
goat table more than once. It's possible, but not needed except in some
edge cases. So you may be able to remove some dupes.

> I'll be happy to update the Wiki for 4.4.8 if this is right.

Please do: the docs on makedelta are very thin indeed! :)

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com