[Bucardo-general] More Noob Questions

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Wed Oct 3 16:16:16 UTC 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg at endpoint.com> wrote:

> Depends on what the change is. For small ones such as indexes,
> constraints, and column type changes, nothing needs to be done
> at all.

As long as the change is made to all databases, I presume.

> For things like adding new columns, adding tables to a
> sync, and practically everything else, a restart of the sync is
> required (mostly because we cache all the column info at the
> start of the sync - while this could be done on the fly, the
> overhead is not worth it).

Would that then require a `bucardo stop && bucardo start &&`? Would one make the changes and then restart, or should one shut down bucardo, make the changes, and then start it again?

> The tricky cases come when you mess
> with the primary keys of replicated tables, in which case the
> best solution is to generally stop writing to the table, finish
> replicating, drop the old triggers, remove the table from Bucardo,
> re-add it to Bucardo, and run validate_sync.

Yeah, I would try to avoid that. Reminds me, though: does Bucardo handle updates to primary key values?

Thanks,