[Bucardo-general] More Noob Questions

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Thu Oct 4 03:22:48 UTC 2012

> As long as the change is made to all databases, I presume.

Yes. Although something like a new column would not have to be
done all at once, as long as that new column is not populated
before the sync is restarted (that column will simply be
absent from the generated COPY statement!)

> Would that then require a `bucardo stop && bucardo start &&`?
> Would one make the changes and then restart, or should one
> shut down bucardo, make the changes, and then start it again?

You need to restart the affected syncs, not necessarily Bucardo
itself. For any changes that may affect the COPY statement, you
have to make the changes while Bucardo is not actively trying
to replicate that table.

> Yeah, I would try to avoid that. Reminds me, though: does Bucardo
> handle updates to primary key values?

Yes: it basically creates a delta record of both the OLD and NEW,
such that it treats it as separate deletion and insertion.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com