[Bucardo-general] End the Cutesy

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Wed Oct 17 21:09:10 UTC 2012

Fellow Bucardoans,

As I make my way through the 5.0 docs, adding and removing stuff as appropriate, I'm thinking now might be a good time to replace two cutesy terms, "goat" and "herd". My suggestion:

• Change "goat" to "relation". This allows it to implicitly cover views and foreign tables, too.

• Change "herd" to "relgroup"

I find these terms much easier to decipher, as they say exactly what they are. Plus "relgroup" nicely corresponds to the existing "dbgroup" term.

I'm thinking all the docs would be updated, but the internal code and database can keep the cute names for compatibility's sake. And "goat" and "herd" would still be supported in all commands so that people's scripts and finger-memory don't stop working.

Thoughts?

Best,