[Bucardo-general] "Debug" feels like "Log"

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Wed Oct 31 16:29:55 UTC 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Jon Jensen <jon at endpoint.com> wrote:

> I'm in favor of renaming them. "Debugging" is in the eye of the beholder, and feels more like a detail level than a type of log. Syslog's levels aren't perfect but seem to work pretty well.

Well, some of them perhaps *should* be called debug. How about this?

     debug               => debug!
     debugfilesep        => log-file-sep
     debugname=s         => log-file-append=s
     debugsyslog=i       => log-destination=s
     debugdir=s          => log-dir=s
     debugfile=i         => [remove]
     cleandebugs=i       => log-clean!

For log-destination, we can have stderr, stdout, syslog, file, and none options. I don't see the pint of debug-file. I'm not thrilled with the name log-file-append, and can probably thing of something better.

Thoughts?