[Bucardo-general] "Debug" feels like "Log"

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Wed Oct 31 23:52:25 UTC 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 9:29 AM, David E. Wheeler <david at justatheory.com> wrote:

> Well, some of them perhaps *should* be called debug. How about this?
>
>     debug               => debug!
>     debugfilesep        => log-file-sep
>     debugname=s         => log-file-append=s
>     debugsyslog=i       => log-destination=s
>     debugdir=s          => log-dir=s
>     debugfile=i         => [remove]
>     cleandebugs=i       => log-clean!
>
> For log-destination, we can have stderr, stdout, syslog, file, and none options. I don't see the pint of debug-file. I'm not thrilled with the name log-file-append, and can probably thing of something better.

After giving is some thought, I now suggest:

     'debug!',
     'logdest|log-dest|log-destination=s',
     'logseparate|log-sep|log-separate!',
     'logextension|log-extension|log-ext=s',
     'logclean|log-clean!',

Documented, we would have

  --debug
  --no-debug
  --log-destination
  --log-separate
  --no-log-separate
  --log-extension
  --log-clean
  --no-log-clean

--debugdir goes away: Any value for log-desintation other than "none", "stderr", "syslog", or perhaps "stdout" would be assumed to be a directory name.

--debufile goes away, too; --log-destination "none" allows logging to be disabled.

Thoughts?

Thanks,