[Bucardo-general] Newbie Questions

David E. Wheeler david at justatheory.com
Tue Sep 25 20:27:57 UTC 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg at endpoint.com> wrote:

> Yes: you can do 'bucardo reload_config' for that purpose (config changes
> only), and a 'bucardo reload' to pick up new syncs and the like. I don't
> think we have a way yet to smoothly add new syncs: right now reload
> basically causes the MCP to stop all existing syncs, forget everything
> it knows, reload from the database, and start again.

That’s better than nothing. I assume that the reload either finishes those syncs before restarting or fires them up again after restarting, yes?

> You can use Bucardo's preferred terms "source" and "target". We just keep
> master and slave around for backwards compatibility. :)

“Multi-source replication.” Not sure about that term. Maybe…

> Yes, Bucardo can handle things like that: each sync is completely distinct,
> and can have any combination of databases as needed. As of about a week ago,
> you can even replicate within the same database (especially useful with
> the customname feature!)

Yeah, this is awesome.

> *shrug* It's a little more overhead, but doable. We should probably concoct
> a standard recipe on the wiki for doing so (e.g. to handle the non-PK
> tables).

+1

>> Sounds important.
>
> It is, but it's also more edgy of an edge case that it first appears.

Okay.

>> These?
>>
>> * Fix quoting bug reported by Sean M. Pappalardo
>> * Fix need for password argument when using md5
>> * Get Drizzle tests verified as working
>> * Get bucardo-report working again
>> * Note 8.2 minimum requirement somewhere (probably from COPY (select))
>> * Get some solid tests for the makedelta system
>> * Fix bug with checking wrong tables in databases on startup reported to list
>>
>> Where will I find context for these? They appear to be more notes to yourself.
>> Which I can appreciate, but not be much help with. :-)
>
> I will try to flush those out a little bit. I should point out that the
> 8.2 requirement is no longer true: I successfully tested a 8.1 target
> yesterday. But we do want to note the minimum source database and
> target databases.

8.1 seems more than reasonable, frankly. Please let me know when you've added some context to these items. I can try to take a look at some of them this week and next.

> Thanks for the help offer! I'm wary of yet another aspect of Bucardo project
> management, as I have very little time to throw at it some weeks. Maybe
> yourself or David Christensen could spearhead that effort? I'd be happy to
> answer quick questions on IRC to help out.

Anything would be good; do you prefer it be somewhere else? The TODO list is useful, but lacks necessary context, IMO.

Oh, you have a Bugzilla, I see.

   http://bucardo.org/bugzilla/

Should we just use that?

Best,