[Bucardo-general] syncrun table growing unbounded?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sat May 18 03:56:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 09:26:23AM -0400, Mitchell Perilstein wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We're using 4.99.7 with PG 9.1.5 and seeing the syncrun table
> growing without bound with old (ie, ended) records, eg:
> My workaround might be to add a periodic cleanup job, ie, 'delete
> from syncrun where ended is not null' every 10 min or so but I'd
> rather fix the root cause instead.
> Anybody seen this?

The syncrun table is meant to provide both instant and historical
information. In theory, the size should not affect things due to
the partial indexes. But this is probably at the least a gaping
documentation hole. :) One should prune old entries over a time
period you are comfortable with. The "ended" query you gave is
good for that, although I would say something like:

delete from syncrun where ended is not null
  and ended < now() - '2 days'::interval

Or you could move the rows to another table first for any long-term
forensics.

Ideas on how to do that with Bucardo itself are welcome.

Doc patches / wiki updates extremely welcome.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com