[Bucardo-general] Master-master HA replication

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Thu Sep 5 03:29:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 11:50:07AM +0200, Petr Tvaroha wrote:
> The maximum goal is to set up master-master replication when the clients
> (receptionists) could use www.master1.com or www.master2.com independently.
> They'd use master1 as default and if it's not accessible, they'd start
> using master2 (or vise versa). Hope my intention is clear.

Yes, this is a typical master-master setup.

> 1) In order to achieve my goal I would have to install Bucardo on both
> servers and on both servers set up as master-slave (the local server would
> be master and the remote one would be slave)? Or is it better to set it up
> as master-master on both sides?

You install Bucardo itself in one place. Bucardo requires a database, as
well as some place to actually run the program from. It could be on either
of the existing servers, or on a separate one entirely. Yes, you want
master-master.

> 2) The only condition to avoid errors from replication would be to change
> the db design a bit - to treat autoincremental fields (even on master1, odd
> on master 2). Or is there any other catch I should be aware of?

That's pretty much it. And don't replicate those sequences.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com