[Bucardo-general] Master-master HA replication

Petr Tvaroha tvaroha at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 09:50:07 UTC 2013

Hello to everyone,

after spending several days to read as much as possible about Bucardo on
the web I still feel a bit confused.

We are running our own online hostel reservation and reception system (I am
the developer) and it's crucial to be accessible 24/7 (at least by the
reception).

The app and db (PHP & PgSQL 8.4) runs on a VMS in a datacentre. We have a
copy of the app and db running on another server in another datacentre
(they are connected with a backbone line).

At the moment I pg_dump the master db and pg_restore to the backup db every
hour so we have at least the history available for viewing if the master is
not accessible. But it's not sufficient.

The maximum goal is to set up master-master replication when the clients
(receptionists) could use www.master1.com or www.master2.com independently.
They'd use master1 as default and if it's not accessible, they'd start
using master2 (or vise versa). Hope my intention is clear.

Sorry for the long intro, now my questions:

1) In order to achieve my goal I would have to install Bucardo on both
servers and on both servers set up as master-slave (the local server would
be master and the remote one would be slave)? Or is it better to set it up
as master-master on both sides?

2) The only condition to avoid errors from replication would be to change
the db design a bit - to treat autoincremental fields (even on master1, odd
on master 2). Or is there any other catch I should be aware of?

Thank you very much in advance for replies,

Petr