[Bucardo-general] Proper way to set encoding

Joshua Tolley josh at endpoint.com
Mon Nov 3 23:19:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 10:36:54AM -0600, César Piñera wrote:
>    But then Bucardo can't connect to the database.
>    This is because i'm getting this error:
>    Â Kid has died, error is: DBD::Pg::db pg_getcopydata failed: ERROR:
>    Â character with byte sequence 0xc2 0xb4 in encoding "UTF8" has no
>    equivalent in encoding "LATIN9" at
>    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/Bucardo.pm line 9573. Line: 5384 Main
>    DB state: ? Error: none DB mysourcedb state: 22P05 Error: 7 DB
>    mytargetdb state: ? Error: none
>    The configured client encoding in my postgres database is LATIN9

It looks like you've set the encoding properly, but there's data in the
database that can't be represented in the client encoding you've chosen.
There's a database encoding -- apparently in your case it's UTF8 -- in which
data are stored, and a client encoding, in which data are sent back to the
client. If data can't be converted from one to the other, like because
characters in one can't exist in the other, you'll get errors. In other words,
I don't think you'll be able to use LATIN9 with the data in that database.

--
Josh Tolley   josh at endpoint.com   801-987-0252
End Point Corporation  http://www.endpoint.com