[Bucardo-general] the problem Bucardo on FreeBSD!

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sat Aug 22 12:17:48 UTC 2015

Жихалкин Михаил Федорович wrote:
> Hi!
> We are using Bucardo on Linux and we want to use Bucardo on FreeBSD. But we
> have a problem!
>
> We have two identical servers:
> FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p16
> p5-Bucardo-5.3.1               Asynchronous PostgreSQL replication system
> postgresql93-client-9.3.9      PostgreSQL database (client)
> postgresql93-plperl-9.3.9_1    Write SQL functions for PostgreSQL using Perl5
> postgresql93-server-9.3.9_1    The most advanced open-source database
> available anywhere
>
> We have two databases and two syncs respectively. Both syncs are on the first
> server. Everything is working correctly. But if one of servers was reboot!
> Bucardo status is GOOD, but syncronization not working.

This might be related to the TCP connection timeouts ... have you
checked them?

> When we restarting bucardo on the server (where was created sync) the
> syncronization become working again.
>
> P.S. bucardo restart performed at the second attempt:
> # bucardo restart
> Creating /var/run/bucardo/fullstopbucardo ... Done
> Checking for existing processes
> Cannot start, PID file "/var/run/bucardo/bucardo.mcp.pid" exists
> #
> # bucardo restart
> Creating /var/run/bucardo/fullstopbucardo ... Done
> Checking for existing processes
> Removing file "/var/run/bucardo/fullstopbucardo"
> Starting Bucardo
> #

This is not a bucardo error - it's an error of the port/package startup
file - it fails to set the correct permissions of /var/run/bucardo (I
believe) ... that said the time between issuing fullstopbucardo and
trying to restart seems to be very very fast and I wonder if it's a
simple case of the start/stop script not waiting for the shutdown of the
bucardo processors....  I get similar problems on Linux so it's not
necessarily FreeBSD specific.. there may even be two parts to the
issue... the permissions and the "race condition" for the start/stop.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/