[Bucardo-general] How to make syncs active when one of the node is down

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Wed Jun 3 18:14:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 12:20:23PM +0200, sym39 wrote:
> Is it a way that a sync continues to be active even if one
> referenced machine is down? The same problem is related in some old
> posts, so I fear it is a well known problem.

It is a well known problem, with no easy solution. Proposals welcome.
Perhaps we should start a new thread and I can lay out some of the
technical difficulties?

> Is it possible to use a dedicated pgbouncer with bucardo that will
> only be used by bucardo. This may reduce the number of postgres
> instances.

It's possible, if done carefully, but of limited benefit, as Bucardo
needs active, serializable, concurrent transactions most of the time.
You may get more benefit by having the KID and CTL processes exit
when done, by setting kidsalive=0 and stayalive=0 for each sync.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com