[Bucardo-general] onetimecopy in bucardo 5

Troy Denton tdenton at 24-7intouch.com
Tue Mar 10 16:45:29 UTC 2020

David Christensen
[image: Attachments]Mar 6, 2020, 2:55 PM (4 days ago)
to me, bucardo-general

> > On Mar 5, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Troy Denton <tdenton at 24-7intouch.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mar 5, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Troy Denton <tdenton at 24-7intouch.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is onetimecopy still supported in bucardo 5?  I'm adding new tables to
> an existing sync and want to copy over those tables.  The tables exist on
> both machines, with data existing in one of them. I can't seem to make it
> work, steps I followed:

> > > bucardo validate sync <the sync that uses this relgroup>
> > > bucardo update sync <the sync that uses this relgroup> onetimecopy=2
> > > bucardo kick <the sync that uses this relgroup>
> > >
> > > Never saw the data copy over, or the 'one time copy' in the status go
> to false.  I tried reloading that sync [i got an error], stopping/starting
> bucardo, and then the status said that onetimecopy was false, but my data
> had not transferred.
> > >
> > > I've just manually transferred the data for now, but would like to
> know the correct process moving forward.
> >
> > It *should* work, though I’m curious what error the you mentioned was.
> I assume the target table was completely empty first if you were trying to
> use onetimecopy=2?
> >
> > Which Bucardo version?
> >
> > Hey David, The target table was completely empty.  There are other
> tables in the same relgroup that would not have been completely empty
> though - could that be the misunderstanding?
> >
> > The error I am getting is:
> >
> > "Reloading sync tndb_sync...Reload of sync tndb_sync failed; reload
> response message never received".  I just tried it now and got the same
> result.
> Were there any more details in the log.bucardo file or the postgresql logs?

I don't see any related info in the bucardo.log or postgresql log files.  I
tried recreating with a test table today and am getting the same behaviour
- below are my steps:

create table on both servers
populate data on one server (3 rows, very small)
bucardo add table public.test relgroup=bananaphone_herd db=bananaphone_wpg3
bucardo validate sync bananaphone_sync
bucardo update sync bananaphone_sync onetimecopy=2
bucardo kick bananaphone_sync
Check status after a few minutes
Last good                : Mar 05, 2020 10:04:56 (time to run: 1s)
Rows deleted/inserted    : 0 / 0
Sync name                : bananaphone_sync
Current state            : Good
Source relgroup/database : bananaphone_herd / bananaphone_wpg3
Tables in sync           : 10
Status                   : Active
Check time               : None
Overdue time             : 00:00:00
Expired time             : 00:00:00
Stayalive/Kidsalive      : Yes / Yes
Rebuild index            : No
Autokick                 : Yes
Onetimecopy              : Yes
Post-copy analyze        : Yes
Last error:              :

bucardo was not running for some reason??
bucardo start
bucardo status bananaphone_sync shows onetimecopy as no
re-set onetimecopy=2
re-kick the sync
status shows onetimecopy as "yes", but has not replicated

Does this look like the correct procedure?

I am not seeing anything in /var/log/bucardo.log related to the specified
sync.  I am seeing periodic warnings about a sync that I had initially
created and later removed:
(25580) [Tue Mar 10 11:44:39 2020] MCP Warning: Unknown sync to be kicked:
"tndb_sync1"

--------------------------------

Troy Denton, P. Eng.

Senior Telecom Analyst

24-7 Intouch

204.666.4651 | mobile

24-7intouch.com | tdenton at 24-7intouch.com

240 Kennedy St | Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 1T1

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail message and any attachments to it are
intended only for the named recipients and may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not one of the intended
recipients, please do not duplicate or forward this e-mail message and
immediately delete it from your computer.