[Bucardo-general] onetimecopy in bucardo 5

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Wed Mar 11 15:14:25 UTC 2020

> > > Never saw the data copy over, or the 'one time copy' in the status go to false.  I tried reloading that sync [i got an error], stopping/starting bucardo, and then the status said that onetimecopy was false, but my data had not transferred.
> > >
> > > I've just manually transferred the data for now, but would like to know the correct process moving forward.
> >
> > It *should* work, though I’m curious what error the you mentioned was.  I assume the target table was completely empty first if you were trying to use onetimecopy=2?
> >
> > Which Bucardo version?

Can you reproduce this issue in Bucardo 5.6.0?

> > Hey David, The target table was completely empty.  There are other tables in the same relgroup that would not have been completely empty though - could that be the misunderstanding?
> >
> > The error I am getting is:
> >
> > "Reloading sync tndb_sync...Reload of sync tndb_sync failed; reload response message never received".  I just tried it now and got the same result.
> Were there any more details in the log.bucardo file or the postgresql logs?
>
> I don't see any related info in the bucardo.log or postgresql log files.  I tried recreating with a test table today and am getting the same behaviour - below are my steps:
>
> create table on both servers
> populate data on one server (3 rows, very small)
> bucardo add table public.test relgroup=bananaphone_herd db=bananaphone_wpg3
> bucardo validate sync bananaphone_sync
> bucardo update sync bananaphone_sync onetimecopy=2
> bucardo kick bananaphone_sync
> Check status after a few minutes
> Last good                : Mar 05, 2020 10:04:56 (time to run: 1s)
> Rows deleted/inserted    : 0 / 0
> Sync name                : bananaphone_sync
> Current state            : Good
> Source relgroup/database : bananaphone_herd / bananaphone_wpg3
> Tables in sync           : 10
> Status                   : Active
> Check time               : None
> Overdue time             : 00:00:00
> Expired time             : 00:00:00
> Stayalive/Kidsalive      : Yes / Yes
> Rebuild index            : No
> Autokick                 : Yes
> Onetimecopy              : Yes
> Post-copy analyze        : Yes
> Last error:              :
>
> bucardo was not running for some reason??
> bucardo start
> bucardo status bananaphone_sync shows onetimecopy as no
> re-set onetimecopy=2
> re-kick the sync
> status shows onetimecopy as "yes", but has not replicated
>

> Does this look like the correct procedure?

This does, though I’m wondering about that onetimecopy status; that would suggest that it hasn’t done the copy and it’s still pending.

> I am not seeing anything in /var/log/bucardo.log related to the specified sync.  I am seeing periodic warnings about a sync that I had initially created and later removed:
> (25580) [Tue Mar 10 11:44:39 2020] MCP Warning: Unknown sync to be kicked: "tndb_sync1"

These warnings would show up due to the kick trigger for that sync still being on the table.
--
David Christensen
Senior Software and Database Engineer
david at endpoint.com