[Bucardo-general] Superuser requirement for Bucardo

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Fri Sep 4 14:23:18 UTC 2020

Hi Justin, is this on RDS by chance?

Bucardo required the ability to set session_replication_role for replication to work, which is generally only allowed to superusers, though RDS has an explicit permission for this and I wouldn’t be surprised if in later versions of PostgreSQL there was an allowed pg_* role that lets you set this.  (Hand-waving the details for RDS, since I don’t remember offhand, but I do recall this was allowed to work since RDS 9.4ish.)

The session_replication_role is actually only used on the target (though in a multimaster configuration, all nodes are targets).  There may be other pieces that I’m not remembering offhand that would be required in the source database, but it seems at least feasible for unidirectional data replication to not require this on the source.

It would probably take patches to support this, since if it worked that way already you wouldn’t be writing. :-)

Best,

David Christensen
Senior Software and Database Engineer
End Point Corporation