[Bucardo-general] Question about order of the Bucardo setup

IT Technical Analyst FOD fo.ittechnicalanalyst at emergency.it
Tue May 11 07:53:24 UTC 2021

Hello,
I don’t understand very well why you need a dump of the db; if you use that for having 2 databases with exactly the same data, then I would proceed like that:

1.       Dump database A

2.       Import dump into target database B

3.       Add your source db to bucardo (bucardo add db A, with tables etc)
bucardo add db db_A dbhost=myhost dbport=5432 dbname=mydbname dbuser=mydbuser dbpass=mydbpassword

4.       Add your target db to bucardo (bucardo add db B, with tables etc)
bucardo add db db_B dbhost=myhost_B dbport=5432 dbname=mydbname dbuser=mydbuser dbpass=mydbpassword

5.       Create a sync that has:

a.       database A as source, database B as target if you want a master to slave replication
bucardo add dbgroup grp_m2s_mydbname db_A:source db_B:target
bucardo add sync sync_mydbname_m2s dbs=grp_m2s_mydbname [‘tables=’]

b.       both databases as source if you want a master to master replication (you should choose a conflit resolution strategy,  I use “bucardo_latest”)
bucardo add dbgroup grp_m2m_mydbname db_A:source db_B:source
bucardo add sync sync_mydbname_m2m dbs=grp_m2m_mydbname conflict_strategy=bucardo_latest [‘tables=’]

More precisely I created a dbgroup with both databases, and then I add that dbgroup to the sync.
The “tables” parameter is optional, to specify a subset of tables to be replicated.

6.       Start bucardo

Another option is to use bucardo with the “ONETIMECOPY” parameter, its purpose is to copy big amount of data from a db to another and bucardo has this possibility, but I don’t know it very well and the dump in my opinion is the cleanest method for replica initialization.

Hope this will be useful to you,
Bye!

Mattia Marzo