[check_postgres] [commit] Two cool new checks: new_version_cp and new_version_pg to check if you

Robert Treat xzilla at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 8 20:47:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 13:00:00 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Hmm... this gives me an idea... possibly we (webteam) could modify the
> > rss feed to include whether a release includes security fixes, so that we
> > (check_postgres) could adjust nagios check based on that information.
>
> Interesting - but has there ever really been a non-vital point update? If
> it's not a security fix, it's usually something that might compromise your
> data, which is just as important. I'd say even more so,

well, depends right? If someone tells me there is an issue with losing all
your data due to a bug in gist indexes, or plpython functions, or something
else that I don't do, I don't necessarily upgrade. Note I rss the commits on
old branches, cause I don't trust the release notes, but we didn't upgrade to
8.3.6 in most places, so it happens.

> actually, as most
> of the recent 'security fixes' tend to be "problems that could be caused by
> untrusted local users" which is not a concern for many places.

Probably my growing paranoia due to working on PCI compliance issues, but
security releases (which include a CVE) often have to be treated differently
for some organizations.  Granted, all of this is pretty situationally
dependent.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net