[check_postgres] Enhancement request - configuration file

Cédric Villemain cedric.villemain at dalibo.com
Thu Aug 6 13:11:16 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 06 août 2009, Albe Laurenz a écrit :
> Dear developers,
>
> towards the beginning of the Perl script there are a couple
> of optins that can/should be configured, things like
> $opt{showtime} = 1;
> or
> $opt{defaultuser} = 'postgres';

or PSQL hardcoded path as suggested din the code.

> Now when you install the latest version, there is always the
> danger that you forgot that you made these adjustments
> and lose them when the file is overwritten.
>
> What about an optional configuration file (something like
> /etc/check_postgres) from which configuration options are
> read if it exists?

I am not in  favor of a conf file. All can be done on command line, isn't it ?
But PSQL hardcoded path suggestion still remain, is it really better ?

As we have a 'make', why not './configure --noshowtime --defaultuser=foo --
psql=/usr/local/foo/bin/ ? (Note that actually I don't make anything and just
copy the check_postgres.pl and all is fine,  I *really* want to keep that)

----
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données
Cel: +33 (0)6 74 15 56 53