[check_postgres] Embedded Perl problem: "Subroutine ndie redefined"

Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Thu Feb 12 03:58:55 UTC 2009

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> If I disable the embedded Perl interpreter (enable_embedded_perl=0), it
>> works perfectly, but I understand there's a performance hit.
>>
>> Are you aware of this? Is there a better solution?
>>

> Someone had a similar problem some time ago, and the answer was to NOT
> use the symlink trick, but make use of the --action tag instead and call
> the same script each time. Other than that, I don't know, maybe someone
> else on the list does.
>
> All in all, I wouldn't be too concerned about the performance hit:
> unless there is a great number of machines and/or you run a very
> underpowered Nagios box, it should not be much of an issue.

It can be a problem if you have lots of service checks, but actually,
it's sort of the reverse of what you'd expect.  The embedded perl
interpreter is helpful if most of your check scripts are perl scripts,
but if you use check_nrpe and the other binary check commands, you'll
find that enabling the embedded perl interpreter causes more memory
usage in each of the nagios threads, but it only helps you in a small
percentage of the checks.  We're currently working through some issues
with a nagios server that checks about 3300 services on almost 400
hosts.  Enabling the perl interpreter causes the fork failures we're
seeing to happen more regularly.  So, your mileage may vary, but if
you're only running a few perl scripts, you might consider leaving it off.

That said, it has worked for me in the past using the --action tag.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff at frostconsultingllc.com>
Phone: 916-647-6411	FAX: 916-405-4032