[check_postgres] bloat check doesn't work with --include

Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Wed Jul 22 16:59:45 UTC 2009

I went through them one at a time:

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> This one's a little tricky, as it could be a number of things.
>
> 0. The table doesn't exist. :)

It does exist.
> 1. The table has never been analyzed (= no rows in pg_stats)

It has been analyzed.
> 2. The table has no rows, as still no rows in pg_stats)

It has 99,999 rows.
> 3. It does not meet the minimum criteria for bloat. Right now
>    it is at least 1 page of bloat for tables, and at least 11
>    pages of bloat for indexes.

Shouldn't that just return OK instead of UNKNOWN though?
> 4. It was a victim of the ORDER BY .. LIMIT gotcha I just fixed,
>    committed and pushed. :)

I git pulled and that didn't fix it.
> About #4: rather than report back the entire database worth of
> relations, the bloat query has a LIMIT on it (set to --perflimit,
> which defaults to 10). I changed it so that if --include is used,
> the LIMIT is simply removed. Maybe we shouldn't have the limit at
> all, and filter another way, similar to the recent check_backends
> fix. Too tired to tackle that at the moment. Let me know if one
> of the 5 choices above does not apply to your situation.

What's the minimum size?  It seems like MINSIZE is set to 0 since I git
pulled.  bar is only 3.5MB:

jefftest=# select pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('bar'));
 pg_size_pretty
 3544 kB
(1 row)

--