[check_postgres] Nagios Status unknown

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Mon Jun 15 16:01:21 UTC 2009

> 'FATAL:  sorry, too many clients already'
>
> I really do not understand why a fatal error is handled as an unknown
> status (Line 1633). As a first approach I changed

Well, in a general sense, a FATAL error is an unknown for the thing that
is being measured. However, we can look for /specific/ errors and handle
those - in this case, we can look for that particular string and treat
it as a warning or critical. Assuming English is being returned by the
backend, of course.

> 'could not connect to server: Connection refused'
>
> is a status unknown, too.

This should be an unknown : we don't know why the connection cannot be
made. As far as the plugin is concerned, it cannot do the single test it
was designed for (number of connections in this example), so it should
return an 'unknown' to Nagios. Same as any other non-Postgres check that
is affected by, for example, a network error.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com