[check_postgres] RFC: New Actions

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sat Jan 8 02:33:06 UTC 2011

> * Idle transaction count: Report error if more
> than x idle transactions more than x [time units] old.

Should be quite do-able, and I think people have even asked
about this before (Steven or Robert maybe?). Not sure if
this would be shoehorned into the existing txn_idle action
with some additional flags or its own action. I'd lean towards
the former, especially as I suspect those x/x combos may be
handy for other future actions (so keep the arg names genericy
please :)

> * Wal Log Timeout: Report if no new logs on a slave
> within the previous x [time units].

Do-able, perhaps via pg_ls_dir / pg_stat_file, as not having to
run it on the slave itself would be nice. Speaking of which,
that's what the "checkpoint" action does, which is the closest
to the proposed action. It runs pg_controldata and sees the time
of the last checkpoint. A very indirect check, but is has the
advantage of checking things in the whole PITR system pretty late
in the game, so if there are any WAL write/xfr/store/read issues,
etc. it shows up. Depending on the problem you are trying to
solve, this may be good enough or even better than counting
the logs in a given time period.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com