[TNM] Logfile wildcards?

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sun Jan 29 22:40:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:29:44AM -0500, Matt Keranen wrote:
> I have an installation with verbose PostgreSQL logging, where
> during ETL runs the log files rotate several times per hour.
> Rather than running tail_n_mail every minute with the LATEST
> config option, can it be configured to run against multiple logfiles?
>
> For example, when postgresql.conf is set to log with
> postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log, can tail_n_mail scan
> postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_*.log on each run?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Using LATEST seems the
best solution here, as Postgres will only have one logfile
open at a time. Tail_n_mail will find the last one it opened,
go to where it last left off, finish until the end of the file,
and then read all files created after that point until it
gets to the latest. That's the theory anyway; let us know if
it is not working that way.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com