[Bucardo-general] Suggested Topology

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Fri Oct 19 19:47:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 16:46 -0600, Ben Allen wrote:
> I was wondering what the suggested topology for Bucardo would be.

> In my case I have a swap sync, two hosts, each with their own master
> database thats being replicated.
>

> Should the Bucardo database live on one of these two hosts or should I
> throw a third host just to run Bucardo and its database? I do have the
> extra hardware already, so its really a matter of which way would be
> faster.

I generally like to keep the Bucardo database on the same server as one
of the hosts, as one of the Bucardo->database connections is thus local
and super-fast, at the cost of a little more "all your eggs in one
basket". Keeping a copy of the bucardo schema elsewhere helps reduce
that risk, as everything needed to bring Bucardo up again elsewhere is
in the (small) bucardo database[1]. It's also nice to be able to toggle
back and forth via psql from the bucardo database to the real one, but
that's certainly not a reason to base a decision like this on. :)

[1] In theory, you could replicate /that/ database as well, but it
changes infrequently enough on my end that I've never tried it.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
End Point Corporation 610-983-9073