[Bucardo-general] Version collision confusion

Martin Bramwell martinhbramwell at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 14:09:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm writing to get clarification about versions and also a bit to point out that Bucardo's  getting started material is less than friendly to someone like me.  I have small experience* with PostgreSql; none at all with Perl or Bucardo.

I used the documentation at   http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo/Installation

	1. Requirements:   What are these things below?  Where can I find them?  How can I tell if I need to find them? Is there an "all_clear_for_Bucardo" environment validation script of some kind?
	* DBI
	* DBD::Pg
	* Test::Simple
	* boolean (Bucardo 5.0 and higher)
	2. apt-get install postgresql-plperl-9.0 :  This got me the error message ...
      "postgresql-plperl-9.0 : Depends: libperl5.10 (>= 5.10.1) but it is not installable"

... trying to deal with that with : apt-get install libperl5.10  got me this ...
 "No candidate version found for libperl5.10"
I got lucky guessing that   apt-get install postgresql-plperl-9.1   would be the solution.
Please tell me -- ¿¿ can I safely use postgresql-plperl-9.1 ??
Also, shouldn't  postgresql-plperl   be in the requirements list above?
Please accept that my criticisms are intended to be constructive.

Sincere regards,
Hasan

* My first experience with computers was punch cards and Fortran and I've been at ever since.   So I'm not a nube in that sense :-)
** Welcome to the 3rd world.