[Bucardo-general] Using a hot standby as source

Riaan Ahmed riaan at blueapron.com
Fri Aug 1 15:04:13 UTC 2014

Are there any reasons specifically that bucardo would need read-write
ability on the source db? Essentially, I'd like to use the hot standby as
the source db, and have it replicate to an unlocked analytics target.

When I try to add a sync between the two, I get the following error. Is it
necessary to have read-write enabled on the source? Is there something in
the bucardo script I could comment out to prevent this check?

$ sudo bucardo add sync tsync relgroup=testherd
dbs=production:source,looker:target

Created database group "tsync"

WARNING:  Issuing rollback() due to DESTROY without explicit disconnect()
of DBD::Pg::db handle dbname=<production>;host=;port=at line 209.

CONTEXT:  PL/Perl function "validate_sync"

SQL statement "SELECT validate_sync('tsync')"

PL/Perl function "validate_sync"

Failed to add sync: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  DBD::Pg::db do
failed: ERROR:  cannot set transaction read-write mode during recovery at
line 209. at line 30.

CONTEXT:  PL/Perl function "validate_sync" at /usr/bin/bucardo line 4000.