[Bucardo-general] bucardo 5 install guide - swap syncs

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Sat Aug 2 02:21:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:13:53PM -0400, Jonathan Brinkman wrote:
> Greetings
> I am using bucardo 4 and am moving to bucardo 5 to try and fix problems.
> Is there a guide for master - master syncs, or whatever replaces the swap
> syncs?
> The wiki install guide for 5 is pretty light. A more advanced tutorial using
> all forms of syncs and exotica would be great.

Yes, the wiki needs some love. I'm slowly chipping away at it, and will try
to focus more on the install. For the moment, the most recent docs are
probably my blog posts, especially:

http://blog.endpoint.com/2014/06/bucardo-5-multimaster-postgres-released.html

If there is some aspect in particular you would like to see explained
or demonstrated, let the list know.

> Also a good explanation of when to use MakeDelta and ALWAYS triggers.

Makedelta is only needed if you need to have more than one sync replicate
the same table. Bucardo works by having triggers fire to record which
primary keys change when a table is updated. However, during replication,
Bucardo disables all triggers. So the makedelta system replicates the
effect of the triggers.

Setting a trigger to ALWAYS should almost never be needed. Certainly
not in the normal course of Bucardo usage.

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com