[Bucardo-general] Anyone monitoring bucardo?

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Mon Jul 14 19:10:22 UTC 2014

Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
> I'm currently monitoring bucardo using Monit - but only the most
> basic, checking PID. I've found on a couple of occasions that bucardo
> will have hit a wonky streak, and stopped running a sync, which the
> simple PID checking is incapable of recognizing as an issue.
>
> Is anyone else monitoring bucardo with Monit?

I am not.
> Do you have a novel way of checking to see if all is awesome in
> bucardo-land, and alerting if not?

Define novel ;-) ...  Here's my Nagios check function:
http://flashback.sorbs.net/packages/check_bucardo_repl.pl.txt

The simplest way to do it is add a table 'bucardocheck' to the sync you
want to monitor (table name is definable) with columns of pk (INT) and
ts (TIMESTAMPZ) than then define the command in nagios with the relevant
params..  (see help).. if you're doing multimaster set a different pk
row for each master or you'll get continual conflict checking (which is
ok, but it slows stuff down and screws with the lag calculation)

Regards,

Michelle

> Here's my dirt-simple monit config as an example --
>
> check process bucardo with pidfile /var/run/bucardo/bucardo.mcp.pid
> start program = "/etc/init.d/bucardo start"
> stop program = "/etc/init.d/bucardo stop"
> alert paul at anastrophe.com on { pid exec nonexist status } with
> reminder on 5 cycle
> if 3 restarts within 4 cycles then alert
>
> --
> Paul Theodoropoulos
> www.anastrophe.com

Michelle Sullivan