[Bucardo-general] bucardo error with bulk copy

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Mon Nov 12 21:27:54 UTC 2018

> Dear Team,
>
> I am stuck with an error in Bucardo and require some help to proceed further.
>
> So i have a Postgres database which i am trying to migrate. In order make sure the migration only takes a minimum downtime, i was using the bulk copy mode where in my "onetimecopy" is set to 2 so that once the bulk copy is completed, it moves to syncing the delta.
>
> My problem is that few of the tables in my DB are big. I tried doing a migration of database without including the big tables and it worked fine. However when i include the bigger table, it tries and migrates those bigger tables (For instance this table alone takes 6 hours for Bucardo to migrate).
>
> I see per logs that it did successfully copy data from that table and then Bucardo fails with the below error.
>
>  Kid has died, error is: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: SSL SYSCALL error: EOF detected at Bucardo.pm line 4985. Line: 5453 Main DB state: 08000 Error: 7 DB dest_db state: ? Error: none DB source_db state: ? Error: none
>
> I am running my bucardo on an AWS Memory optimized R4 24X large and the whole process of Bucardo is not even using 5% of the system, so i know its not a memory issue.
>
> Any directions on this will be really appreciated.

Hi Vineeth,

What are your tcp_keepalive settings for this server?  It’s possible it’s silently breaking the connection due to perceived inactivity whilst building indexes or some other long-running process that isn’t transmitting data while the connection is open.  I’ve seen adjusting these so the network knows the connection is alive help with some issues like this.

Best,

David Christensen
End Point Corporation
david at endpoint.com